Sunday, November 2, 2008

Future papers & projects

After looking at what I had out there from my 2005 paper I realized there are a lot of things I've added to Satori that I really don't have documented well on how I did it. Since Satori and my papers are my way of giving back to the community, I'm going to try to go back and document each of the protocols I parse and use in Satori and do a quick whitepaper on each. Nothing like the DHCP one, since that was written specifically for Blackhat 2007, but enough to help others who are trying to duplicate what I've done.

Also, I've been thinking about writing my own DHCP client for Windows. It goes along with the idea irongeek worked on about changing your TCP stack. I have the initial plan in my head, but have not started coding it. Not sure it will ever come to completion, but will be fun to create a DHCP program to do DHCP Request, Inform, Discover, etc packets while looking like it is a Linux 2.2 box, or a Windows 95 box, etc. It will give me a chance to test some of the questions I had while writing the DHCP paper originally to see who well some DHCP servers adhere to things.

First things first though, 2 new certs to work on, hopefully coding or writing of the whitepapers will start by Dec 1, but who knows. Still need to get back to some Satori work one of these days!

No comments: